You will be redirected to my new site in a few seconds! Click here to go there now!

5.28.2007

Godess of the Week...

I have yet another weekly venture to keep up with. This will be much easier to keep up on than my favorite guys/girls of the week... Anyway. I love mythology of all sorts from african myths to greek/roman myths. So... in light of the movie I saw today, Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End, I have arrived at my first choice of my new venture. The greek character by the name of Calypso.
Calypso (mythology)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


"Now he's left to pine on an island, wracked with grief" (Odyssey V): Calypso and Odysseus, by Arnold Böcklin, 1883In Greek mythology Calypso (Greek: 'Καλυψώ', 'I will conceal', also transliterated as Kalypsó or Kālypsō), was a naiad, daughter of Atlas who lived on the island of Malta. She delayed Odysseus on her island (Ogygia) for seven years. While he was there, post-Homeric sources add, she bore him a child named Nausinous. Athena asked Zeus to spare Odysseus of his torment on the island, as he wanted to go to his homeland. Zeus sent Hermes, the messenger of the Gods, to tell Calypso to release Odysseus. As Zeus was the Lord of the Gods, she was unable to refuse him, although she wished to. Odysseus eventually returned to his homeland of Ithaca, to be with his beloved wife Penelope who waited for him at home, even though Calypso had promised him immortality if he stayed. Some legends say Calypso died as a result of her grief.

No comments: