You will be redirected to my new site in a few seconds! Click here to go there now!

8.26.2007

Hostel II Review


I love me some Eli Roth and I love me some Quentin Tarantino. If it wasn't for the fact that he's so damn gumpy I would have his babies. His last film was amazing. I can't remember if Grinhouse came out before or after Hostel II, but both were amazing. Today I watched both Hostel and the sequel. Both produced and directed by Eli thought I think Q co-directed. I'm not positive. I must say that the first film didn't carry that Quentinessence as much as the second film did. I am not even sure how much he input into this film. Though now that I think about it, it is kind of funny that he sneaked in Pulp Fiction in the background. I didn't even realize that until just this moment. At any rate, I loved Hostel two because Quentin's style really showed through more. I mean, you had the strange contrast of emotion, the creepy ironies, and the sick and twisted humor. The thing about it is that I never even expected the ending, which is what I have come to love about this guy's work. You can never even fathom a Tarantino ending until it bites a chunk right out of your ass, which by this time is hanging off the end of your seat.
If you have not seen the ending I won't ruin it for you. Wait. That's not my nature. If you haven't see the movie, then shame on you deserve to be spoiled. Here is what happens. Girl finds herself the victim to monsters who want to torture her and kill her. She happens to have a client who is walking the fence about his decision to get caught up in such a twisted secret club. He goes back and forth between not wanting to take part in the slashing to treating this girl the way he would want to treat his evil unappreciative wife back home. She toys with his mind until he releases her, puts her on the floor and just about as he goes to take advantage of her, she head bangs him right in the face. She busts out the surveillance camera and ties him to the chair. She ask for the code to the keypad lock on the metal door. She asks him again and when he doesn't answer she shoves a needle in his ear. She puts in something which appears to be false. "It didn't work!" she says. "The door is opening". And with that men barge in and she, pouncing down from a ladder behind them that she so cleverly had time to climb and plan a sneak ambush, nails the man in the head with a brick or something. She screams "Sasha!". The leader of this pain palace comes marching in to find himself in a room with a girl pointing a gun at his face with her other hand holding a pair of scissors to her client's penis surrounded by guards with handguns. "I want to buy myself out of here" she says. They argue for a moment about where she will get the money and if she could even afford it. Then they finally agree, however with a slight twist. Nobody can leave this place unless they kill someone. Those are the terms of these contracts between the clients and the house of pain. She snips of her once to be killer's genitals and rips it off. "Let him bleed to death". She stomps out of the room and the next frame you see her getting the secret club's emblem tattooed on her back. How scandalous!! I know there must be a sequel, otherwise I will be pissed beyond all belief.
If you want to see this favorite scene of mine, click here. It is something you will surely appreciate.
I found it on youtube also. It has some stupid text at the beginning, sorry. But if you are impatient, here you go...


Did you think I would leave you hanging like that for real? Aw, how cute! I also tracked down some interviews and reviews and what not. As Missywould say:ENJOY!!!


WEll! I guess there goes my hopes for a trilogy. Damn you Roth!!

1 comment:

Drew said...

Quentin was on O&A great interview, way his mind works, is pretty cool. his ideas of movies comes some from his childhood, I like alot of his movies, not just kill bill, I want to see Grind house soon.